Monday, December 24, 2012

Obsidian by: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 361
Series: Lux #1
Format: Paperback

Description:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.


My thoughts:

I've read the Turkish translation of this book which recently came out. And from what I've seen, all of us girls that have read it are in this state:
Overall, Obsidian is quite like any other book of the same genre: a boy who's not human falls in love with the human girl and because he has enemies, things start to get all messy. Don't diss "Obsidian" when you hear this because Jennifer L. Armentrout has created such an alien (literally!), handsome boy that there are Turkish readers who are trying to get in touch with NASA in hopes of figuring out the whereabouts of Daemon Black. 

The narrator, Katy, this Daemon is an ass and a dickhead, yet she melts whenever she sees him. One of my friends always says, "arrogance looks good on men!" And it does look very good on this green-eyed alien:

"Ash is going to kick your ass, Daemon."
Daemon's grin went up a notch. "Nah, she likes my ass too much for that."

Or, out of the blue he'll ask Katy (whom he calls 'Kittycat' by the way), "Do you think I'm gorgeous?" and he'll love it when she turns red. Reading about Katy and Daemon playing cat and mouse was quite fun. I also liked that Katy's mother wasn't one of those conservative, angry characters. She was the kind of mother who can go up to her daughter and say, "our neighbor is very handsome." 

After coming face-to-face with death at the end of the book, they look like they're safe and sound for now. However, it looks like there's going to be more trouble in the future books. The author really does know what she's going, and she left the ending on a such cliffhanger that Turkish readers are going to be waiting very, very excitedly for the rest of the series to be translated and published.

I believe that all of you who enjoy YA will love this book. But beware of this:





This entry was posted in

0 shout outs: