Monday, December 3, 2012

The Girl on Paper by: Guillaume Musso

Title: The Girl on Paper
Author: Guillaume Musso
Publisher: Gallic Books
Pages: 320
Format: Paperback

Description:

What happens when fantasy is the only thing that seems real? Just a few months ago, Tom Boyd was a multi-million-selling author living in LA, in love with a world-famous pianist. But after a very public break-uo he's shut himself away, suffering from a total writer's block, with only drink and drugs for company. One night, a beautiful, naked stranger appears in Tom's house. She claims to be Billie, a character from his novels, who has fallen into the real world because of a printer's error in his latest book. Crazy as her story sounds, Tom comes to see that this must be the real Billie. And she wants to strike a deal with him: if he writes his next novel she can go back to the world of fiction: in return she will help him win back his beloved Aurore. What does he have to lose? Guillaume Musso's latest romantic adventure is a story of friendship, love and the special place that books have in our lives.

My thoughts:

I've spent a good part of my childhood looking for Peter Pan's shadow. Then, there were people who, in detail, explained to me that not everything in books was real. I didn't believe them then, and I don't believe them now.

The Girl on Paper is a book for those like me who don't believe. Popular author Tom Boyd has just broken up with his girlfriend, hit rock bottom and believes he's lost the ability to write. Just then, one of the characters from his book, Billie, a beautiful girl falls down into his house from the sky. Just as you will guess, these two will end up falling in love at the end of the book. Yet, their journey is one you will enjoy. Billie is going to die if she can't go back to the fictional world, meaning Tom not writing will kill her. Uncooperative at first, Tom doesn't take too long to believe that Billie is real. And when he starts to really like her, he starts writing as if his own life depends on it.

While reading the books, I kept asking myself, "Haven't I read this book before?" I couldn't find what book I thought it was alike, but I must point out that it's not a very different book. The ending turned out to be just what I thought it would be. But still it wasn't a disappointment, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. In this book, there's hope, happiness, friends who care about one another to the death, people who made their way out of darkness and readers who believe in their favorite author.

After this, I'm going to continue searching for Peter Pan's shadows, picking up from where I left off more than 10 years ago.
This entry was posted in

0 shout outs: