Friday, April 1, 2016

Interview with Eva Gates Author of Reading Up A Storm

Recently I had the chance to sit down with cozy author Eva Gates who writes A Lighthouse Librarian Mystery series.  Thank you Eva for stopping by.

What Genre do you write?

I write in several different sub-centres of crime novels. Everything from modern Gothic thrillers to gritty police procedurals to historicals to cozies.  I even write a series of novellas for adults with literacy difficulties.  But now, I am leaning more to the cozy side, and this seems to be the direction my career is taking.  My Lighthouse Library books for Penguin, the most recent of which is the third, Reading up A Storm,  are written under the pen name of Eva Gates, but all my other books are under my real name, Vicki Delany

Tell us something about yourself that readers may not know?


I am an extreme introvert.  Remember, introvert doesn’t mean shy.  I am not that.

How did you come to write cozies?

I was very lucky to be introduced to Kim Lionetti of Bookends by my good friend, Mary Jane Maffini.  When Obsidian asked Bookends if they had an author who could write a proposed series for them, Kim thought of me.  And I found that I LOVE writing cozies.

What is your favorite theme to write aka weddings, food themed books etc?

I love writing about books.  Libraries and bookstores are such great themes.  The Lighthouse Library series is set in a library, and the book club meets to read the classics. In Reading Up A Storm, it’s Kidnapped, and some of the threads of Kidnapped run though my book.  I also love Christmas, and that’s reflected in my Year Round Christmas series from Berkley.
* Speaking of librarys did you know I use to work in one in my form young life?

Who inspires your books?

When writing a cozy, all I want to do is have fun with it.  And I hope that the reader has fun with them too.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I read a lot. I do jig-saw puzzles, and in the summer I like to work in the garden.  I am just back from
a two week holiday in Vietnam, which was marvelous, and am already thinking about next year’s trip.

How did you to come to decide to write novels?

I originally thought I might like to write for children.  So I took some creative writing classes.  I quickly decided I didn’t want to write for children, but I was enjoying the classes so thought, “Now what can I do?” and because I love to read mysteries, I thought I might try writing one.

What is your favorite animal?

Domestically, I am a dog person.  I have travelled to Africa many times, and I love elephants most of all.

*I have a dog a dachshund mini named Ginger. She's a short hair black and tan.

What is your favorite holiday and why?

As I said I am just back from Vietnam.  It was great. So I guess my most recent, is my favorite!  *That sounded like a great vacation.

Do you have any upcoming books that will be released 2016-2017?

Oh, yes.

Reading Up A Storm, the third Lighthouse Library mystery, April 5, 2016. By Eva Gates from Berkley.

We Wish You a Murderous Christmas, Year Round Christmas mysteries, November 2016 from Berkley

Elementary, She Read, the first in the Sherlock Holmes Bookstore and Emporium series from Crooked Lane, spring 2017

Hark, the Herald Angels Slay, Year Round Christmas Mysteries, Nov. 2017. From Berkley.



0 shout outs: