Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Summer I Dared by: Barbara Delinsky Review


Description via Goodreads:



On Big Sawyer island, life is as steady as the routine of the lobstermen who leave with the tide each morning and return with their haul each night. But for forty-year-old New Yorker Julia Bechtel, life and what's important in it are about to be forever altered when she survives a terrible boat accident en route to the island. Now, in the company of her aunt and daughter, Julia finds herself feeling strangely connected to the tragedy's other survivors -- Noah, a divorced lobsterman, and Kim, a young woman rendered mute since her rescue -- and newly outraged at the state of her marriage to a domineering man. Seeing the world with new eyes, Julia vows to embrace life with all of its joys and uncertainties. And the journey begins on Big Sawyer...

My Review:

This book was incredible. While three characters survive what 9 others didn't, you see them connect and help one another move on. It shows that trauma can help people reevaluate their life, and choices they have made. For Noah it was repairing a relationship with his son, for Kim it was finding her voice when she was so filled of horror, and for Julie it was deciding what she wanted and not what others wanted.

I really loved the island. Reminded me of a summer home I lived on as a kid. It had depth and warmth that isn't always felt when dealing with a vacation island. This one really captured so much. I couldn't put the book down, it gripped and held me for a long time. Definitely a great read and one I would recommend to anyone who's looking for a really moving story. Barbara Delinsky has really hit on something with this story.

With tragedy came greatness as the book moved on. The last two hundred pages really sailed by in my opinion. This is a book I would hold on to incase I wanted to reread and be inspired by the characters.

This entry was posted in

0 shout outs: