Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by: N.K. Jemisin

Title: One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Author: N.K. Jemisin
Publisher: Orbit
Format: Paperback, Turkish Translation
Source: Dex Kitap

Pages: 427
Series: The Inheritance Trilogy #1

Description:


Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history.

With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Yeine will learn how perilous it can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably together.

My thoughts:

I'd like to start by mentioning that I read the Turkish translation of this book, therefore my English wording may not be 100 % accurate.

When I first got a hold of the book, I wasn't excited. I do love fantasy, but when I read the premise, I thought it would be overdone, and I'd give up half way through it. Boy, was I WRONG!

To start with, I really thought the main character would be male, and I don't even know why. But she turned out to be a girl who hasn't yet turned 20. A strong, warrior girl. Our narrator orphan Yeine gets invited by her grandfather, King Dekarta to his kingdom to fight for the throne and her whole life changes. On one hand, she has to fight her cousins in order to stay alive. In addition, she wants to find out who murdered her mother and take revenge, and she's trying to figure out why the three gods are fighting each other. Oh, and have I mentioned they are enslaved at High North and Yeine gets to hang out with them?

The world Jemisin created is as scary as it is magical. I really liked how there are more than one important characters in the book, and she does a very good job of having us get to know all of them. The parts about the past were also scattered very nicely, without making the reader scream, "ok, but what's happening NOW?!" I also very much enjoyed Yeine's language. She goes off telling us about something, changes to a different subject, and tries to come back to the previous one saying, "wait, that's not what I was talking about." It might seem sloppy, but for me it made her more real because, after all, she's "telling" the story and not writing it down. 

It's a pleasure to follow Yeine around as she discovers where she comes from, where she is and how her world functions. I don't know how and why she found the Dark God Naradoth so very attractive, but one shouldn't look for logic when it comes to falling in love, right? I'm very much curious about what's going to happen next in the series, and I hope it doesn't take too long before they're translated to Turkish.

This entry was posted in