Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Lumby Lines by Gail Fraser

Description from GoodReads:
Nestled in the Northwest is a quaint little town that its quirky residents are proud to call home. With charming shops lining its one main thoroughfare, Lumby is home to the oldest apple tree in the county and the smallest bank in the state. And though it's hours from the nearest big city, you'll always find Lumby close to your heart.... Nearly destroyed by fire, Montis Abbey remains a ruin on the outskirts of Lumby. Once home to a resourceful order of monks, it stands abandoned, surrounded by its overgrown orchards. Then Mark and Pam Walker, a vacationing couple from the East Coast, stumble upon it -- and upon the answer to their prayers. Leaving behing their hectic lives to to restore the monastery and turn it into an inn is a dream come true. But some residents of Lumby take a while to warm up to outsiders. One of them is irascible William Beezer, owner of The Lumby Lines -- the newspaper "worth the paper it's printed on." At every turn, he tries to hinder the Walkers' efforts. The couple soon learns that for every citizen like William, there are many more willing to lend a hand, and that Lumby isn't just a place, it's a way of life.

My Review:

This book was great quirky fun that had you wanting more. Everytime I turned around I had to run to read the Lumby Lines paper to my husband which had us in stitches. The characters remind me of Murder she Wrote minus Jessica living their her whole life. Definitely adore Gail Fraser's Series. Adding monks aka Brothers to the book intensified the history aspect of the story. I could read these over and over again. This book was sent to my via FSB Media for a fair and honest review and all I can say is pass the next one here. Can't wait to start Stealing Lumby. If you haven't picked up any of these I would say what are you waiting for?? The Walker's are very down to earth characters looking for something to reconnect them. And in some ways Lumby offers them that. The ability to restore the Abbey and meet new people and find some level to connect with them. Mind you they are far from idiots, they are just people that don't approve of outsiders. Which can be very typical of small towns. You find yourself looking forward to the local paper and police reports. And for me myself being from NH I appreciate what those animals do. Reminds me of home in a big way. I rate this book a big 5 stars, it's out of the norm for me. Not mystery, romance, or paranormal and I loved it with a passion.
This entry was posted in

0 shout outs: