Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Inteview with Author Kimberly Mullican

Author of Taking Control Kimberly Mullican let's us learn about her and her new book.

Tell me about yourself.
I was born in raised in Northwest Indiana where I remain today, though I’ve resided in other areas for brief periods of time.   I am a wife, mother of 2, step-mom to 2 and slave to 2 dogs and 2 cats.  I have a serious addiction to good coffee and vodka tonic.  I also have a talking problem, which is why I chose the day job is in sales.  I love people, I always have – especially the weird ones.

Give a brief verbal description of your book.
TAKING CONTROL is about a woman who has left the CIA after spending a few weeks being tortured in captivity.  She has a whole heap of internal struggles including toying with her bi-sexuality.  She doesn’t want to admit to herself that she misses the action of her former life.   Though she doesn’t get much of a choice when trouble comes looking for her.  She winds up freelancing for the FBI to capture a serial killer who is targeting area drag queens.  To top it all off, she is a medium and her ghostly companion Grant is madly in love with her.

Why did you write this book?
Because it was stuck in my head and I had to get it out.  I love writing and it seemed to be the only logical thing to do.  Kat, my female MC, was taunting me.  She is one tough bitch, so I put her ass on paper!  I have been writing for a long time and after scrapping my last project (due to serious over writing) I decided this one was a must-do.  Seriously, the MC was in my head all day every day.  She was all I could think about.

Do you want to use your book to further your career?  
Well, I would love to sell enough books so that I could quit the day job and write full time.  So yes, publishing my novel was a step in the right direction.

What is your professional background?
I am one of those people that change careers often.  I’ve worked for the Department of Defense, been a legal secretary, sold a plethora of goods and now I sell cars.  So yeah, I’ve been all over the place.  The only consistent thing about me is that I’ve always written.

What do you like the best about your book?
I love my MC.  She’s has real moxie and she’s a hot mess.  At the same time, she is calculated and controlled.  Grant, her guardian ghost acts like a juvenile delinquent and will stop at nothing to make her laugh.  I enjoyed writing the scenes with Grant.  The drag queens in my book also make me smile.  I had to interview a drag queen, because I didn’t want to misrepresent the queens in any way.  Can you imagine having a bunch of pissed off drag queens?  That could get ugly.

What do you hope readers will take away from “ Taking Control”?
Nothing, I hope the readers are the ones who get something from it.  The book has given me everything I ever wanted.  My characters even helped me through some of my own garbage.  (Don’t  gasp, you have garbage too.)  Kat’s a real survivor who inevitably figures out how to find peace.  I think we can all use a little of that.

What kinds of books have inspired you over the years?
Oddly enough, THE CELESTINE PROPHECY came to me at a special time.  It’s a very dry read and it’s no wonder the guy started off selling his books out of his trunk.  But there’s something special about that book, if you can get through it.  But to be honest, books don’t inspire me as much as the authors do.  They are my real inspiration.  I’ve worked closely with a few since starting this novel and they are the most supportive bunch I’ve ever met in my life.  No other place do I see competition viewing each other as allies.  We are a weird bunch, but that is something I appreciate.

What appeals to you most about books?
I love a book that can just suck me in and transport me smack dab in the middle of the story.  I think that’s what readers love the most – the escape.  I enjoy reading eBooks, but I still love old-school hard copies.  Sitting on the beach, burning my booty because I can’t put the book down, now that is appreciation for writing.

Do you have any children of your own? What do you like to read with them?
My kids are now old enough to read to themselves but Dr. Seuss was a hit in my house.  He’s an evil genius in my book.  And for those who don’t know – he also wrote adult poetry as well.  Google “The Perfect High” by Shell Silverstein.  Evil Genius I tell you!

Brief Bio
Kimberly Mullican lives in Indiana with her family.  When she isn’t taking in massive amounts of coffee, maintaining a hectic work schedule or blogging, she is working like a mad scientist at her laptop on her next novel.  TAKING CONTROL is her breakout novel.

2 shout outs:

Unknown said...

Fun interview! I'm a big fan of Kimberly's, and wish her much success!

EJ

Anonymous said...

Thanks E.J.!