Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blog Hop Question #1

This week on the Blog Hop, while I didn't sign up this time an interesting question was asked so I'm going to post my answer here.

"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"


For me, I always try my best to start at the beginning because key elements of the series may be revealed in the first book.  For example Sookie Stackhouse had I not read the first book I wouldn't know how Sookie and Bill came about.  Or I might not learn how deep her telepathy runs. House of Night is another example how would I know who or what turned Zoey Redbird?  I technically wouldn't have a clear answer on it.  While books 2,3,4,5, etc might sum up what characters have been up too, what it all boils down to what you miss by jumping in with book 3 or 4.  In Zoey's case I wouldn't understand why her friends are made at her after Chosen book 3, or why she is having difficulties with her high priestess.  So I always go in series order.


How about you?  What would your answer be?

1 shout outs:

Aurian said...

I try to start with the first book in a series, but sometimes, when I only have the second, and the first one is nowhere to be found, I just read that one to see if I want to read more or not.