Saturday, November 8, 2014

Interview with Lynn Cahoon Author of If The Shoe Kills


I would like to take the time to thank Lynn for stopping by Community Bookstop today to be interviewed by Paula.  

What genre do you write?
 Is small town a genre? It should be… seriously, my mysteries fall under the cozy label and my romances are contemporary (modern western) and light paranormal. 

Can you tell us what brought you to writing mystery?
 I see dead people… actually, burial sites. I’m always thinking about setting and where the best (or worse) place to hide a body would be.  After I sat on a jury for a murder trial, I was hooked on the genre. 

Who influences your writing?  Do you have favorite authors?
 I try not to read cozy while I’m writing cozy. So a lot of my influences have been from older books I’ve read (Laura Bradford, Susan McBride, Kate Carlisle, Jenna Bennett) I adore smart funny heroines and hope I showcase my own characters in that positive light.  So other than those cozy girls, I love reading Harlan Coben, Lisa Gardner, Lisa Jackson, Deborah Harkness, and JD Robb. Tell me a good story and I’m yours. 

What type of books do you like to read?
I commute to the day job, so a lot of my ‘reading’ is through audio books. Which means, my reading habits depends on what’s available in the library when I stop in. I love trying a new to me author and falling in love with the story.  I picked up my first Lee Child book this month and am enjoying the male dominate point of view.

What do you do when you’re not writing?
Besides the day job? Actually, my husband and I bought ATV’s this year so I’ve been learning my way around a 4-wheeler.  We bought a lot and a trailer to weekend with and I’ve been enjoying a lot of campfires with adult beverages and fun company. 
Or I like to visit the art museum and wander around, feeding my muse. 

If you were stranded on an island only allowed to bring three things what would they be?
I’m assuming the island has no electricity, so here goes. I’d bring a copy of The Stand by Stephen King as I could read that over and over. I’d bring a notebook and pen that never ran out of paper or ink (yes, I know that’s two, but give me some room here…) And the last thing would be a box of Skittles – berry flavored.  

If the Shoe Kills:

Synopsis:
The tourist town of South Cove, California, is a lovely place to spend the holidays. But this year, shop owner Jill Gardner discovers there’s no place like home for homicide. . .
As owner of Coffee, Books, and More, Jill Gardner looks forward to the hustle and bustle of holiday shoppers. But when the mayor ropes her into being liaison for a new work program, 'tis the season to be wary. Local businesses are afraid the interns will be delinquents, punks, or worse. For Jill, nothing’s worse than Ted Hendricks--the jerk who runs the program. After a few run-ins, Jill’s ready to kill the guy. That, however, turns out to be unnecessary when she finds Ted in his car--dead as a doornail. Officer Greg assumes it’s a suicide. Jill thinks it’s murder. And if the holidays weren’t stressful enough, a spoiled blonde wants to sue the city for breaking her heel. Jill has to act fast to solve this mess--before the other shoe drops. . .

"Murder, dirty politics, pirate lore, and a hot police detective: Guidebook to Murder has it all! A cozy lover’s dream come true." --Susan McBride, author of The Debutante Dropout Mysteries

Thanks for having me over! 


Links – 
Goodreads -http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5857424.Lynn_Cahoon
Twitter - https://twitter.com/LynnCahoon
Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/LynnCahoonAuthor
Amazon author page - http://www.amazon.com/Lynn-Cahoon/e/B0082PWOAO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Bio
USA Today and New York Times, best-selling author, Lynn Cahoon is an Idaho native. If you’d visit the town where she grew up, you’d understand why her mysteries and romance novels focus around the depth and experience of small town life. Currently, she’s living in a small historic town on the banks of the Mississippi river where her imagination tends to wander. She lives with her husband and four fur babies.



0 shout outs: