Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Charles Dickens was a big cat-lover

Famous for saying, "What greater gift than the love of a cat?" Charles Dickens has proven in more ways than one how much he loved cats. His beloved cat Bob, who always sat by him, passed away in 1862. And Dickens got the blade you see in the above pictured made: the handle of the blade is Bob's actual paw. 

At first I was icked when I first saw this. I imagined carrying my cat's paw with me at all times, and I didn't like that idea because that would mean it didn't belong to them anymore. But then I read that during those times it was common for people to commission keepsakes like this in memory of their beloved pets.

What do you think of this trend?

I myself must admit I'm glad it didn't make it to our day.

P.S. You can read the original article here.