Friday, September 6, 2013

Review - Odd and the Frost Giants by: Neil Gaiman

Title: Odd and the Frost Giants
Author: Neil Gaiman
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Pages: 104
Format: Paperback
Source: Personal purchase

Description:

The winter isn't ending. Nobody knows why.
And Odd has run away from home, even though he can barely walk and has to use a crutch.
Out in the forest he encounters a bear, a fox, and an eagle - three creatures with a strange story to tell.
Now Odd is faced with a stranger journey than he had ever imagined.
A journey to save Asgard, City of the Norse Gods, from the Frost Giants who have invaded it.
It's going to take a very special kind of boy to defeat the most dangerous of all the Frost Giants and rescue the mighty Gods. Someone cheerful and infuriating and clever.
Someone just like Odd...

My thoughts:

I truly believe that Neil Gaiman has an endless imagination, and I love that it's his job to share it with us!

I'd read Odd and the Frost Giants way before I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Whenever I read a Neil Gaiman novel, my first reaction is, "he's done it again." The sentences I can't forget from The Ocean at the End of the Lane is, "Adults follow paths. Children explore." Now that I think about it, having read Odd and the Frost Giants, Neil is right! Odd is the sweetest child in the world who's out to explore. He's not exploring with other kids either; he's on an adventure with Gods. Gods from Norse mythology.

I think children's books make me cry more than adult novels. I didn't cry my eyes out while reading this one, there were many times when my eyes watered. Thanks, Neil; I'm so glad you're around! Here you can watch a clip of him reading from the book.
This entry was posted in