Saturday, November 28, 2015

Interview: Empty Nest Author Mary Wingate



Recently I had the chance to sit down and interview Mary Wingate author of the book Empty Nest here's the interview:

What genre do you write?

I write traditional (also called cozy) mysteries. In traditional mysteries, the main character is usually an amateur sleuth, not a police officer or detective. In traditional/cozy mysteries, setting and characters play an enormous role and violence is downplayed. I love writing characters and their stories, and making the setting – whether it be a grand house or a village pub – a place the reader would like to visit.

How did you come to write cozy mysteries?

I suppose it’s true with many authors – we write what we love to read. And what cozy mystery writer doesn’t like to read Miss Marple? And I’m a big of series (such as Dorothy L. Sayers’ Harriet Vane) where each book has a story arc, but there’s also a story arc (the growth of the main character) that spans the series.

Who is your favorite character to write about?

Quite possibly whichever character is in the scene of the moment. In Empty Nest, apart from Julia Lanchester, the protagonist, I’ve got to say that Thorne, the butler at Hoggin Hall, is near and dear to my heart. Oh wait – and Gavin Lecky, leather-clad birdwatcher who wear one earring in the shape of a hovering kestrel.

Who inspires your books?

Inspiration comes from all quarters – friends, family, places, real-life events. Everything gets tossed into the hopper (my brain) and mixed up until it comes out as a story.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

My husband and I travel – usually to England, Scotland or Ireland (surprise) where I do loads of research. I also lead garden tours to those countries; it gives me the opportunity to spend time outdoors and talk with people. And I read, of course.

If you were stuck on a deserted island what three things would you take?

I’d take my iPad filled with books and a solar charger. And a toothbrush.

Thank you,
Paula

0 shout outs: