Thursday, January 12, 2017

BOTM January: Interview with Larissa Reinhart

Recently I had a chance to sit down with the great author Larissa Reinhart author of the Cherry Tucker mysteries and the new book 15 minutes!  Thank you so much for joining me today! Thanks so much for the interview! 

What genre do you write?

I write humorous mysteries and romantic comedies. They cross over into cozy mysteries and women’s fiction/chick lit.

Tell us something that readers might not know about you?

I have a sister who is afraid of goats. She was cornered by goats in a petting zoo as a kid and has a phobia now. When I put Tater in the first Cherry Tucker book, PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY, it was kind of an inside joke. Now I get sent goat memes and videos every day on Facebook and my sweet readers send me goat gifts (so does my mother). I don’t know if she’ll ever forgive me.

How did you come to write cozy mysteries? Who are your inspirations?

In middle or high school, I began reading Agatha Christie, Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters, and Mary Stewart (not really a cozy writer but a great suspense/thriller writer). I think they were my earliest inspirations. Later, I got hooked on Martha Grimes, Nancy Martin, Charlaine Harris, and the more comedic mystery/romance writers like Janet Evanovich, Meg Cabot, and Jennifer Crusie. Now I’m all about Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen. I tend to binge-read authors.

What is your favorite character to write about?

A character who has troubled ethics (not morality) but who’s trying to do the right thing. I love redemptive characters.

What do you do when your not writing?

Raising two girls and all the things that go with that. On the weekends, we like to get out and about to see and do things. Particularly because we’re living in Japan, but in Georgia we did, too. I don’t have much time to do anything else although between 10 and midnight, I’m binge-watching some Netflix series and reading.

How did you come to write books?

I’ve always written stories, beginning in early grade school—I even won a national award through the Girl Scouts in 4th or 5th grade. I tried working for a newspaper in high school, even had my own column, but I hated journalism. I gave up on writing as a career, although in college I took creative writing for fun. I eventually went into teaching, but continued creating stories in my head until finally, six or seven years ago, I wasn’t working and my children were in school and I attempted writing again. In a year I had a completed manuscript and the beginnings of Portrait of a Dead Guy. It feels like a calling. I have too many story ideas to quit.

If you were stuck on a deserted island what three things would you take with you?

Bear Grylls, a satellite phone, and a boat.

That was a lot of fun! Thanks!

Author Bio:


A 2015 Georgia Author of the Year Best Mystery finalist, Larissa writes the Cherry Tucker Mystery and Maizie Albright Star Detective series. The first in the Cherry Tucker series, Portrait of a Dead Guy, is a 2012 Daphne du Maurier finalist, 2012 The Emily finalist, and 2011 Dixie Kane Memorial winner. She loves books, food, and travel in any and all combinations.

Her family and Cairn Terrier, Biscuit, live in Nagoya, Japan, but they still call Georgia home. You can see them on HGTV’s House Hunters International “Living for the Weekend in Nagoya” episode. Visit her website, find her chatting on Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads, and sign up for her newsletter at http://smarturl.it/larissanewsletter.

If you enjoy her books, please leave a review. She sends you virtual hugs and undying gratitude for your support!

Social Media Links: 

http://larissareinhart.com/

15 MINUTES, Maizie Albright Star Detective, releases January 24th.
#10days #findthewoman #getthejob #doNOTfallinlove
“Maizie Albright is the kind of fresh, fun, and feisty ‘star detective’ I love spending time with, a kind of Nancy Drew meets Lucy Ricardo. Move over, Janet Evanovich. Reinhart is my new ‘star mystery writer!’”
— Penny Warner, Author of Death of a Chocolate Cheater and The Code Busters Club

#WannaBeDetective 


When ex-teen star Maizie Albright returns to her Southern hometown of Black Pine, Georgia, she hoped to rid herself of Hollywood tabloid and reality show hell for a new career as a private investigator. Instead, Hollyweird follows her home. Maizie’s costar crushing, but now for her gumshoe boss. Her stage-monster mother still demands screen time. Her latest rival wants her kicked off the set, preferably back to a California prison.

By entangling herself in a missing person's case, she must reprise her most famous role. The job will demand a performance of a lifetime. But this time, the stakes are real and may prove deadly.

Download the first four chapters for free (with no signup) on Bookfunnel here: http://bookhip.com/FDHSBH

Links to 15 MINUTES:


2 shout outs:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful interview! Fun questions!

Celia Fowler said...

I really enjoyed the interview, and especially liked your answer to what you would need on a deserted island -- Bear Grylls -- genius!