Thursday, March 31, 2016

Interview: Teresa Watson author of Who Invited The Ghost To Dinner?



Recently I had a chance to sit down and talk to Teresa Watson author of Who Invited The Ghost To Dinner.  Thank you Teresa for taking the time to visit Community Bookstop!

What genre do you write? 

Cozy mystery

How did you come to write cozies? 

I LOVE mysteries! I started out reading Nancy Drew, graduated to Agatha Christie, and went from there. My mother also loves mysteries, so we share our books and favorite authors with each other. Since mysteries are the main genre I read, it was a pretty natural thing to write them myself. And I love it!

Who is your favorite character to write about? 

That’s a tough one! I guess it would have to depend on which series I’m writing (I have two series right now). For the Ghostwriter series, I would have to say Cam would be my favorite character to write about, followed by Grandma Alma (who is based on my grandmother), and Jim and Charlotte (who are based on my parents). When Cam and Jim are having a conversation, I imagine Dad and I have the same conversation. It’s kind of a healing thing right now, as I lost my father about six months after I published the first Ghostwriter story.

Who inspires your books? 

My mother! I stop to think what she would like to read (and what I would like to read). She loves a good mystery; loves figuring out whodunit. So I write the twists and turns to keep her guessing. She also helps edit my books, so if it doesn’t get by her, it doesn’t get into the book. I
think my favorite story about this involves my other series. I had a wicked character that I really loved. As I was getting ready to write the fifth book in that series, Mother told me, “Debra has GOT to GO.” I protested vehemently, but the law had been laid down. So when people ask me who signed Debra’s death warrant, I simply say, “My mother!”


What do you do when you’re not writing? 

You mean we’re supposed to do other things besides write?! No, seriously, I read, crochet (I’ve taken the last month or so off from writing, and have crocheted three blankets), and watch sports on TV.

If you were stuck on a deserted island what three things would you take? 

A ginormous box of my favorite books, plenty of Dr Pepper, and my son to keep me company!
Thank you,

Paula 

1 shout outs:

Unknown said...

Don't forget your M&M's.
I was trying to figure out why you killed Debra; but I LOVE the character you had kill her.