Sunday, December 20, 2015

Review - Thirty-Two Going on Spinster by: Becky Monson

Title: Thirty-Two Going on Spinster
Author: Becky Monson
Publisher: Exclusive Publishing
Pages: 349
Format: Kindle
Source: Received from Turkish publisher for review

Description:

Julia Dorning is a spinster, or at least on the road to becoming one. She has no social life, hates her job, and lives in her parent’s basement with her cat, Charlie.

With the arrival of Jared Moody, the new hire at work, Julia’s mundane life is suddenly turned upside down. Her instant (and totally ridiculous) crush on the new guy causes Julia to finally make some long-overdue changes, in hopes to find a life that includes more than baking and hanging out with Charlie.

But when the biggest and most unexpected change comes, will the new and improved Julia be able to overcome it? Or will she go back to her spinster ways?

My thoughts:

I kind of panicked when I read the blurb of Thirty-Two Going on Spinster. Why? Because, our main character who is seriously questioning whether or not she's a spinster is 32 (I'll turn 32 in January), lives with her cat Charlie (I live with my cat Sally). I was relieved a bit afterwards because Julia doesn't have a social life (I do have some of that; thank goodness!) and hates her job (I'm not the #1 fan, but I do like it most days). However, I picked it up wondering if I fit the 'spinster' criteria, and finished it in about two hours. Normally, it's not my cup of tea, and I must admit I wouldn't willingly pick it up to inspect at a bookstore, but this fun book came at such a stressful time that it helped me forget all that for a while.

In Thirty-Two Going on Spinster, Julia is looking for 'the one,' and at the same time trying to sort out her life. I didn't quite understand while she waited so long to start doing so, but I honestly didn't question it. Of course, I must say that the new, handsome co-worker helped jumpstart things for her. At first, you can't quite tell what kind of a guy he is, so much so that for a minute, Julia and her best friend at work think he might be gay. Afterwards, even though they do realize one another's feelings towards each other, the guy seems to disappoint Julia, but then he makes up for it.


Thirty-Two Going on Spinster reminded me of Bridget Jones's Diary a little bit. But I didn't enjoy Julia as much as I did Bridget. First, I was much younger when I read Bridget Jones's Diary. Secondly, I sensed that Julia was very much fed up with life itself and didn't do anything to change it. I know from personal experience that we all get depressed at times and even hit rock-bottom, we all have a hard time pulling ourselves out of unwanted situations due to many different factors, and, most importantly, we cannot reach all our goals but I don't think any of this is a good reason to let oneself go as much as Julia had at the beginning of the book. On the other hand, it was fun watching Julia pull everything together.

If you're bored or stressful or feeling down, I feel this book might help you feel better.
This entry was posted in